One of the first things you are going to hear when you become a mom is “make sure you burp your baby”. It is as crucial as everyone is making it sound to be. But don’t worry mama, I’ll show you the 3 most common ways on how to burp your baby.
I have found that these three ways has helped my babies burp one time or the other. If one way is not effective, then try the other way. Just know, that one of these burping techniques for your baby is going to work.
Why do you need to burp your baby?
When you are feeding your baby, he/she will swallow air from sucking. That’s why burping your baby and making sure she passes gas either by burping or farting is very important.
What happens if I do not burp my baby?
Your baby will most likely spit up more often, be fussy, can become a colicky baby and start crying in discomfort.
Things to remember when it comes to burping your newborn:
- If you are nursing, make sure to burp in between breastfeeding. or every 5 minutes. For example, nurse on one breast, burp baby and then continue nursing on the other breast.
- Bottle-fed babies with formula can be burped when formula is about half way through.
- Babies tend to start burping on their own by 6 month of age.
Watch the video demonstration for burping your baby:
3 excellent ways on how to burp your baby
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
1.Over the shoulder position
The over the shoulder baby burping technique is the most “popular” one. Everyone knows it and that’s because it’s very effective. You can either stay seated or you can stand when burping your baby.
- Always have a burp cloth or bib with you, just incase baby spits up.
- Place burp cloth over your shoulder.
- Hold your baby to top of your shoulder, make sure to support baby’s head and neck.
- Your shoulders should put a little pressure on baby’s belly
- Start to pat baby on his back (it should be firm but not hard)
- Pat and rub your baby until he burps.
Looking for a helpful guide on surviving life with a newborn? Check out my ebook “The first time mom guide” where I share with you step by step how to create a sleeping routine for your baby, how to sleep more as a new mom (goodbye sleep deprivation!), give you lots of self care ideas you can do even when you’re too busy, how to manage your time and more! Click here for more information!
2. The sitting on your lap position
Another great burping position is sitting your baby on your lap. This may seem a little intimidating, trust me I was scared to try this out too! My grandmother actually helped me and it works!
Keep in mind that you must support your baby’s neck at all times. You are not really sitting your baby all of the way. Instead, you are going to lean your baby forward as you can see on the picture above.
- Sit on a comfortable surface
- Carefully holding baby’s neck with one hand right under baby’s chin and his butt with the other one. Place him on your lap.
- With one hand, support your baby’s head (placing your hand under his chin)
- With the other hand (dominant hand) start patting your baby on his back to make him burp.
- You can also rub your baby’s back, I like doing a mixture of the two. Pat and rub.
- Watch your baby burp!
quick tip: You may want to place a baby burping cloth under his mouth incase he spits up.
Read this next:
3. Laying baby face down on your lap position
This other burping technique my grandmother actually taught me. Gotta love grandmothers, ha! You basically place your baby facing down on your lap. His head can face any way and simply start patting his back to get him to burp.
You can either place your newborn on your lap, or on your arms like the picture above is showing. It’s your choice. I prefer laying my baby on my lap.
- Place a burping cloth on your lap.
- Now place your baby facing-down across your lap. Baby’s tummy on one lap and his head on the other.
- Turn your baby’s head sideways (never looking down, risk of choking).
- Start to pat and rub his back.
- You can also, move your legs side to side gently. The movement can soothe baby.
Read this next:
Want your baby to sleep on his own without being held? You must read how to get your baby to sleep without being held. More time for you to get things done. Baby will sleep anywhere because he learned how to sleep on his own. For parents who want a solution.
I hope you found this post helpful in learning the different posititions to burp your newborn.